Clinic for Neurology, Clinical Center of Serbia
Str. Dr Subotic 6, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
2nd Epilepsy school
Second Epilepsy School was organized by the Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy, Montenegrean League Against Epilepsy and Medical School of University of Podgorica. It has taken place in Podgorica, on March 26, 2004.
The 2nd school was primarily targeted at applicants from Montenegro, interested in epileptology and who wish to refine their skills in the pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of epilepsy in patients, through the different ages. Physicians who are pursuing their training or have specialized in neurology, neuropsychiatry, pediatric neurology, pediatrics, neuroradiology, clinical neurophysiology or infective diseases were welcome to apply.
• Second Epilepsy School rallied invited students from Montenegro, Serbia and Republic of Srpska. Applicants were selected on the basis of their professional activity. The course was limited to a maximum of 25 applicants to allow an optimal level of interaction with the trainees.
• Whole-day educational programe (from 09.30 till 19.30 hrs) was provided.
• Pharmaceurical company Janssen-Cillag, Div.of Johnson-Johnson S.E. supported the organization of the 2nd School.
• Owing to the obligingness of School sponsor, transportation by plane of all participants from Belgrade and Banja Luka was provided in early morning hours.
• No special promotion of any antiepileptic drug is encouraged during the Epilepsy School.
• Applicants who succifully realized the School program, will receive SERTIFICAT. Formal attendance to the presentations was not eligible.
• According to the Credit point system for educational courses with activities with medium size participation (<25 participants) and comprising the whole-day work in small groups, this 2nd Epilepsy School organized by the Yugoslav ILAE Chapter is entitled for 14 CPs Credit Points.
• On behalf of the Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy,and Montenegrean League Against Epilepsy, the 2nd Epilepsy School was organized by Assoc.Prof. Nebojša Jović, Certified EUREPA trainer and Assist. Prof.dr Slavica Vujisić.
Educative Programme, Topics, Lists of invited speakers and applicants and Social programme are also available.
President of the Yugoslav ILAE Chapter
TOPICS AND LECTURERS
Temporal lobe epilepsy
Prof.dr Žarko Martinović
Epileptic encephalopathies of childhood and adolescence
Assoc.Prof.dr Nebojša Jović
Women and epilepsy- therapeutic options
Assoc.Prof.dr Ksenija Bozic
Advenced therapy of the epileptic status
Assoc.Prof.dr Dragoslav Sokić
Quality of life and forensic aspects of epilepsies
Prof.dr Stanko Milić
List of topics was selected upon suggestions maded by students in the Application forms.
Speakers were asked to timely prepare and submit either integral texts or hand-outs of theirs power-point presentations.This material was printed in a form of good quality manual entitled «Selected Topics in Epileptology” and distributed to all applicants before the school.
According to the rules for accreditation of courses, maded by the European Epilepsy Academy, the presentation of each speaker was evaluated. The evaluation sheets were distributed at the entrance and collected after the communications.
Epileptic encephalopathies of childhood and adolescence
Last names are cited in alphabetical order.
Dr Branimir VLAHOVIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Slavica VUJISIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Ljiljana GLOBAREVIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Brankica DUPANOVIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Zilha IDRIZOVIĆ, Bijelo Polje
Dr Dragica MILIKIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Željko MILOVIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Igor PETROVIĆ, Belgrade
Dr Sergej RADOVIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Jelica STANIŠIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Aleksandra SERDAR, Banja Luka
Dr Nikola RADOMAN, Kotor
Dr Aleksandar RISTIĆ, Belgrade
Dr Mirjana ČUKIĆ, Podgorica
Dr Željka ČVOROVIĆ, Podgorica
A Group of 15 students finished the 2nd Epilepsy School.
Each School applicant was asked to prepare one case report from his own clinical epileptological practice. Case report was prepared:
а) as a manuscript with no obligatory platform presentation (two applicants) or
b) in a form of slide or video presentation.
Cases with some difficulties in diagnostic, classification and therapeutic strategy and these showing some unusual or specific clinical or EEG features were reported. Majority of students gаve high-quality presentations. Discussion, organized after the each presentation, was constructive and cleare.
Case reports are organized as a small -group work. Speakers were moderators.
All case reports were separately assessed by all school trainees. Each moderator was asked to assess the quality of case reported, comprising : 1. Anamnesis and Classification, 2. Diagnostics, 3. Therapeutic decision, 4. Terminiology and 5. Conclusions.
Welcome reception. Lunch and refreshment were provided.
Dr Tamara Bilanović, Sales and Marketing Manager of Janssen Cilag division of Johnson&Johnson Representative Office in Serbia and Montenegro, kindly welcomed all School participants.
Television of Montenegro (Channel 1) wаs included in a promotion of the 2nd Epilepsy School in Podgorica. It provided much information concerning the School organization, Yugoslav League against Epilepsy and strategy of Pharmaceutical Company “Janssen-Cilag” to support such educational program. Interview with Dr. N.Jovic, Dr. S.Vujisic and Dr T.Bilanovic was emited in the national TV network on March 27, 2004.
Yugoslav Union of Leagues against Epilepsy acknowledges to the Pharmaceutical Company “Janssen-Cilag – representative office in Serbia and Montenegro for significant support and help.
Special thanks are expressed to Dr T.Bilanovic and Miss Jelena Canic for the very nice and highly professional cooperation with School Organizers.
Our League thanks to Medical School of Podgorica University for welcome reception and technical support.
3rd and 4th Epilepsy School of the Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy will be organized in a framework of the 2nd Epilepsy Congress of Serbia and Montenegro. It will take place in Belgrade (Military Medical Academy), October 28-31, 2004.