Clinic for Neurology, Clinical Center of Serbia
Str. Dr Subotic 6, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
3rd Epilepsy School
Priority of the Yugoslav ILAE Chapter is to promote educational programs and to improve comprehensive epilepsy care in a country
Third Epilepsy School was organized by the Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy and Center for Continuing education of Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade. It has taken place in Belgrade, on October 28, 2004. in a framework of the 2nd Epilepsy Congress of Serbia and Montenegro (October 28-31, 2004, Belgrade) .
The 3rd school was primarily targeted at applicants interested in developmental epilepsy who wish to refine their skills in the pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of epilepsy in children. Physicians who are pursuing their training or have specialized in pediatric neurology, pediatrics, neurology or clinical neurophysiology, were welcome to apply.
• 3rd Epilepsy School rallied students from Serbia, Montenegro, Republic of Macedonia and Republic of Srpska. Applicants were selected on the basis of their case report paper submitted. The course was limited to a maximum of 30-35 applicants to allow an optimal level of interaction with the trainees.
• Half-day educational programe (from 09.00 till 13.00 hrs) was provided.
• Pharmaceutical companies “ ZORKA-Pharma» and Sanofi-Aventis supported the organization of the 3rd School.
• No special promotion of any antiepileptic drug is encouraged during the Epilepsy School, regardless of sponsorship and financial support provided by Pharmaceutical Companies.
• Applicants who successfully realized the School program, will receive SERTIFICAT. Formal attendance to the presentations was not eligible.
• According to the Credit point system for educational courses with activities with medium size participation (25-50) and comprising the work in small groups, this 3rd Epilepsy School organized by the Yugoslav ILAE Chapter is entitled for certain CPs (Credit Points).
• On behalf of the Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy, the 3rd Epilepsy School was organized and moderated by Assoc.Prof. Nebojša Jović, Certified EUREPA trainer
• Assistant Prof. Jasna Jančić-Stefanović, Dr Nikola Vojvodić and Dr Predrag Ignjatović were the Technical Organizers of the School.
Educative Programme, Topics, Lists of invited speakers and applicants are also available.
President of the Yugoslav ILAE Chapter
TOPICS AND LECTURERS
Epilepsy and congenital brain malformations
Prof.Dr Nikola Dimitrijevic
Epilepsy in children with congenital metabolic disorders
Prof Dr Milena Đurić
Pharmaco-resistant epilepsies in childhood
Assoc.Prof.Dr Nebojša Jović
Genetics of epilepsies
Dr Ana Kelemen
Non-epileptic paroxysmal disorders – differential diagnosis
Prof.Dr Slobodanka Todorovic
List of topics was selected upon suggestions maded by students in the Application forms.
Speakers were asked to timely prepare and submit either integral texts or hand-outs of theirs power-point presentations. This material was printed in a form of good quality manual entitled «Epilepsy and comorbidity I” and distributed to all applicants before the school.
According to the rules for accreditation of courses, maded by the European Epilepsy Academy, the presentation of each speaker was evaluated. The evaluation sheets were distributed at the entrance and collected after the communications.
Last names are cited in alphabetical order.
dr Milka BUDAKOV, Novi Sad
dr Mela VIDAKOVIĆ, Belgrade
dr Emil VLAJIĆ, Zaječar
dr Gordana VLAHOVIĆ, Belgrade
dr Ksenija GEBAUER-BUKUROV, Novi Sad
dr Dagmar GUBERINIĆ, Pančevo
dr Milena DIMIĆ, Niš
dr Mirjana DMITROVIĆ, Kraljevo
dr Marina JOVANOVIĆ, Niš
dr Marina JONOVIĆ, Niš
dr Olga JOTOVSKA, Skoplje
dr Bosanka JOCIĆ-JAKUBI, Niš
Assoc.Prof. dr Marija KNEŽEVIĆ-POGANČEV, Novi Sad
dr Ružica KRAVLjANAC, Belgrade
Assist.Prof. dr Olivera LEKOVSKA, Skoplje
dr Marija LUKAVAC-TEŠIN, Belgrade
dr Željko LUKIĆ, Jagodina
Vera LUKIĆ, Belgrade
dr Vesna MITIĆ, Beograd
Assist.Prof. dr Dimitrije NIKOLIĆ, Belgrade
dr Martin NOVAK, Niš
dr Sanja OSTOJIĆ, Belgrade
dr Milen PAVLOVIĆ, Kruševac
dr Vesna PUŠIČIĆ, Kragujevac
dr Marija RADOVANOVIĆ, Kragujevac
dr Svetlana SAVIĆ, Belgrade
dr Slađana SAKAČ, Novi Sad
dr Slobodan SEKULIĆ, Novi Sad
dr Aleksandra SERDAR, Banja Luka
dr Natalija TODOROVIĆ, Kragujevac
Assist.Prof. dr Nataša CEROVAC-ĆOSIĆ, Belgrade
dr Mirjana ČVOROVIĆ-DIVOVIĆ, Čačak
All 32 students finished the 3rd Epilepsy School.
Each School applicant was asked to prepare one case report from his own clinical epileptological practice and to submit it til September 1st, 2005.
Two options were suggested: Case report could be:
а) clear and simple, regarding clinical semiology, diagnostic, treatment and methodology to
illustrate routine experience with epileptic children or
b) specific and with some difficulties in diagnostic, classification and therapeutic strategy and
showing some unusual clinical features
Case report was prepared as a manuscript with no obligatory platform presentation. Reported cases are furher discussed.
Case reports are organized as a small -group work. Speakers were moderators.
All case reports were separately assessed by 3 school trainees. Each moderator was asked to assess the quality of case reported, comprising : 1. Anamnesis and Classification, 2. Diagnostics, 3. Therapeutic decision, 4. Terminiology and 5. Conclusions.
Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy acknowledges to the “ZORKA-Pharma” and Sanofi-Aventis– representative office in Serbia for significant support and help.
Special thanks are expressed to Medical-Military Academy in Belgrade for welcome reception, technical support and very nice and highly professional cooperation with School Organizers.
3rd Epilepsy School of the Yugoslav Union of Leagues Against Epilepsy will be organized at the beginning of April, 2005. It will take place in Nis.