Clinic for Neurology, Clinical Center of Serbia
Str. Dr Subotic 6, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Constitution of the Serbian League Against Epilepsy is downloadable here
Association “Serbian League Against Epilepsy”
Scope of Goals
The Association “Serbian League Against Epilepsy” (hereafter the Association) is a nongovernmental and non-profit association founded for an indefinite period with the aim to systematically study the specifics of epilepsy in the territory of Serbia and the region and to be active in carrying out appropriate health, professional and social habilitation and rehabilitation of patients suffering from epilepsy in the territory of Serbia and the region.
Objectives of the Association
The objectives of the Association are to:
1) Advance and disseminate the knowledge about epilepsy throughout Serbia and the region.
2) Encourage research concerning epilepsy.
3) Promote prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care for all persons suffering from these disorders.
4) Improve education and training in the field of epilepsy.
In order to achieve its objectives, the Association shall:
1) Organize the Congress of Epileptologists of Serbia;
2) Organize the School of Epileptology;
3) Establish direct cooperation with state and other institutions, as well as the organizations active in the fields of education, research, health, social or humanitarian care which are or may become concerned with epilepsy related issues;
4) Organize lectures, conferences, advisory meetings, seminars and symposia concerning current epilepsy issues;
5) Propose adoption of appropriate measures against all types of discrimination and for the benefit of persons suffering from epilepsy;
6) Publish professional bulletins and other publications concerning the objectives of the Association
7) Develop and apply other methods consistent with the objectives of the Association
Name and Headquarters
The name of the Association is: Srpska liga za borbu protiv epilepsije
The name of the Association in English is: Serbian League Against Epilepsy
The Headquarters of the Association are in Belgrade, 6 Dr Subotića Street.
The Association performs its activities on the territory of the Republic of Serbia.
Conditions for Joining the Association and Terminating Membership
A member of the Association can be anyone who performs professional activity in treating patients suffering from epilepsy, anyone who takes part in epilepsy research and any other person who accepts the objectives of the the Association and its Constitution and who submits an application for joining to the Managing Board of the Association.
The decision on becoming a member is made by the Managing board which immediately informs the applicant of its decision. A member can terminate their membership by submitting a written notice on the termination. Membership in the Association can also be terminated due to a long-term inactivity of the member, not respecting the stipulations of this Constitution or due to activity which jeopardizes the reputation of the Association.
The Decision on termination of membership in the association is made by the General Assembly, upon a detailed proposal of the Managing Board.
Rights, Obligations and Responsibilities of Members
A member of the association has the right to:
1. Take part in achieving objectives of the Association, together with other members;
2. Take part in decision making at the General Assembly, as well as through Association bodies;
3. Choose and be chosen for the offices of the Association
4. Be timely and fully informed about the work and activities of the Association
A member of the Association has the responsibility to:
1. Make an active contribution to the achievement of the objectives of the Association
2. Take part in the activities of the Association within their area of interest
3. Pay the membership fee
4. Perform other activities entrusted to them by the Managing Board Internal Organization
The offices of the Association are: General Assembly, Managing Board and Supervisory Board.
The representative function shall be performed by the Chairperson of the Managing Board, and in their absence, by the deputy Chairperson, chosen by the General Assembly.
The General Assembly is made up of all the members of the association.
The General Assembly regularly convenes once a year.
The General Assembly is convoked and presided upon by the Chairperson of the General Assembly who is appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members present.
The term of office of the Chairperson of the General Assembly lasts 4 years and they may be re-elected.
The Chairperson convokes the General Assembly by a written notice stating its time and place and the proposed agenda.
An extraordinary meeting can by convoked independently by the Chairperson, upon a detailed suggestion of the Managing Board, as well as upon the incentive of more than a half of the members of the General Assembly in which case the initiative shall be submitted to the Managing Board together with the list of items to be discussed.
The General Assembly:
1. Approves the Constitution and its changes and amendments.
2. Appoints and terminates office of the Managing Board members, Chairperson and deputies.
3. Approves the work curriculum.
4. Approves other general documents of the Association.
5. Discusses and approves the report of the Managing Board.
6. Discusses and approves the the financial plan and report.
7. Decides on status changes and dissolution of the Association
8. Decides on joining other associations in the country and abroad.
The General Assembly decides legitimately if more than a half of the members are present (quorum).
The General Assembly decides by the majority of votes of the present members who constitute quorum.
For decisions on changes and amendments of the Constitution, status changes and the dissolution of the Association, two-thirds of the votes of the present members who constitute quorum are necessary.
Yearly financial reports and reports on the activities of the Association shall be submitted to to the members at the meeting of the General Assembly.
The Managing Board is an executive office of the Association and it is responsible for carrying out the objectives of the Association, detailed in this Constitution.
The Managing Board has 7 (seven) members who are elected and recalled by the General Assembly.
The term of office for the members of the Managing Board is 4 years and they can be re-elected.
The Managing Board consists of the Chairperson of the Managing Board, Deputy Chairperson of the Managing Board (up to three) and other members. Decisions on electing and recalling the Chairperson of the Managing Board and Deputy Chairperson shall be made by General Assembly by simple majority of the quorum.
The Chairperson of the Managing Board represents the Association in legal business and has the rights and duties of a financial instructing party.
The member of the Managing Board who is authorized by the Chairperson of the Board shall have the authority to represent the Association and sign all financial and monetary documents on behalf of the Association.
The Managing Board:
1. Manages the activities of the Association between two meetings of the General Assembly and makes decisions with the aim to achieve the objectives of the
2. Organizes regular carrying out of the activities of the Association;
3. Entrusts members with specific duties;
4. Entrusts professional bodies with specific organizational or professional duties;
5. Makes financial decisions;
6. Decides on starting procedures for changes and amendments to the Constitution, upon personal initiative or following the suggestion of at least one quarter of the members of the Association and prepares the suggestion for changes and amendments which he/she submits to the General Assembly for adoption.
7. Decides on filing motions for damage reimbursement in cases such as stated in Article 25, paragraph 2 of the Law on Associations and, if needed, resignates a special representative for this procedure;
8. Approves the Rules of Procedure. The Managing Board has the validity to make decisions if more than half of the members are present, and makes decisions by majority of votes.
The Supervisory Board supervises the overall activities of the Association and the Managing Board and, if there are any irregularities, immediately informs the Managing Board.
The Supervisory Board has three members who are selected by the General Assembly by simple majority of votes.
The term of office for the members of Supervisory Board lasts four years and they may be re-elected to this function.
The Supervisory Board shall submit a report at every meeting of the General Assembly.
In order to achieve the objectives of the Association, and with better and more efficient division of duties in mind, the Association may form specific professional bodies, councils, boards and committees.
The activities of the Association are public.
The Association regularly informs the members and the general public of the work and activities of the Association, directly or by way of internal publications, or through public announcements or in any other appropriate way.
In order to achieve its objectives, the Association establishes contacts and cooperates with other Associations and organizations at home and abroad.
The Association may join international associations for fighting epilepsy and such decision shall be made by the General Assembly upon a detailed proposal of the Managing Board.
Methods of Generating Funds for Achieving Objectives and their Disposal
The Association collects membership fees, donations, grants and gifts, financial subventions and generates funds in other legal ways.
The Association may acquire means from congress and seminar fees and other educational fees.
Dissolution of the Association
The Association shall be dissolved by the decision of the General Assembly when the conditions for achieving objectives are no longer present, as well as in other situations stipulated by law.
Procedures Concerning the Assets of the Association in Case of its Dissolution
In the event of dissolution, the assets of the Association will be transferred to a domestic non-profit legal entity established for achieving the same or similar objectives, that is, the Assembly shall make a decision on dissolution in which it shall designate the entity to which the assets will be transferred in accordance with the law.
Design and Content of the Seal
The Association has a round seal, 35 mm in diameter, with the following wording on the outside in capital letters: Srpska liga za borbu protiv epilepsije, 1980 while the wording on the inside is: Serbian League Against Epilepsy. In the middle there is a styled drawing of a lit candle in white color against the dark round field of the 15 mm diameter.
All the issues not regulated by this Constitution shall be directly covered by the stipulations of the Law on Associations.
This Constitution shall be effective as of the date of its adoption at the General Assembly of the Association.